Grants & Programs
Downtown Dollars Program
The DTKBIA sells and donates thousands of Downtown Dollars each year that can be used at all partnering businesses. This program is a gift certificate program where "dollars" can be redeemed at any participating Downtown business.
There are easy steps to follow when handling these gift certificates. To obtain a copy of the Downtown Dollar security features and steps to validate them please connect with Lori Muller ([email protected]).
- Downtown Dollars are a gift certificate program, and available in paper copy only.
- Dollars are accepted at all financial institutions when depositing into your Downtown business account.
- Downtown Dollars are available for purchase in the following increments: $5, $10, $25.
- *** Please note we only accept cash or business cheque when purchasing Downtown Dollars.
- Downtown Dollars can be used at many Downtown businesses. Please view our [Shopping & Dining guide for a full list]
- Businesses that accept the dollars are identified with a "$".
Have an upcoming event and you would like to use Downtown Dollars as a prize? Please read and complete the Downtown Dollar Program document and email to Stef Golling ([email protected]n.com).
Community Builder Grant
The Downtown Kitchener BIA provides a funding program to encourage members to partner with us to beautify, promote and create events in our Downtown.
The purpose of this funding program is to encourage efforts that help to build a positive image for Downtown Kitchener and enable community events that focus on collaboration and an amazing experience in Downtown.
If you are interested in partnering with businesses and/or community groups to create a great event Downtown, you may qualify for funding. Please review the Program Outline and Application to the right for details. Note applications must be submitted 60 days prior to your event start date for consideration.
Façade Grant Program
About the grant program:
We offer grants to eligible downtown property owners and tenants who want to make street-facing building façade improvements.
We only consider proposals that offer:
- high-quality storefront and façade design
- high quality signage
- preservation and enhancement of upper-storey façades
Before applying for a façade-improvement grant, we recommend that you review the information on this page and the application to ensure your application:
- meets our related policies and guidelines
- includes all necessary documentation
- will receive a high evaluation score
If you have any questions, send us an email or call 519-741-2200, ext. 7197.
To be eligible for a grant, a property must be located within the Downtown Community Improvement Area, with commercial (retail, restaurant or dining, services) uses on the ground floor.
Each grant application must:
satisfy our urban design guidelines and our King Street façade guidelines follow our sign bylaw and the Ontario Building Code If the total value of all grant applications exceeds the amount of funding available, the applications will be rated based on predetermined criteria. The applications that receive the highest scores will be eligible to receive a grant.
Our criteria includes, but is not limited to:
- quality of design
- quality of materials used
- improved exterior lighting
- All successful grant applications will also be subject to the terms and conditions of our Downtown Community Improvement Plan.
You can use your façade improvement grant in these ways:
- repainting, cleaning or re-facing of façades
- repair or restoration of façade masonry, brickwork or wood
- replacement, repair or restoration of cornices, eaves, parapets and other features
- replacement or repair of windows
- entrance modifications that improve the appearance and/or access to the commercial units
- redesign and reconstruction of the store front
- installation of appropriate new signage or improvements to existing signage
- installation or repair of canopies and awnings
- installation or repair of exterior lighting
- restoration of historic features
Funding: Our façade improvement grants are subject to funding availability and issued upon the completion of the proposed work.
If your grant application is approved, we may pay up to half (50%) of the total cost of your project.
Eligible downtown property owners and merchants/business owners are eligible to receive grants of up to $10,000 per street address or storefront. A property or storefront cannot receive more than $10,000 under this program within a five-year period.
Buildings with multiple storefronts or street addresses are eligible for grants of up to $30,000. Buildings on corner lots, where façade improvements are proposed on both frontages, are eligible for grants of up to $20,000.
A maximum of 10% of the façade grant may be used toward soft costs, such as design fees.