Grants & Programs
Looking to Purchase or Process Downtown Dollars
The DTKBIA sells and donates thousands of Downtown Dollars each year that can be used at all partnering businesses. This program is a gift certificate program where "dollars" can be redeemed at any participating Downtown business.
There are easy steps to follow when handling these gift certificates.
- Downtown Dollars are a gift certificate program, and available in paper copy only.
- Dollars are accepted at all financial institutions when depositing into your Downtown business account.
- Downtown Dollars are available for purchase in the following increments: $5, $10, $25.
- *** Please note we only accept cash or business cheque when purchasing Downtown Dollars.
- Downtown Dollars can be used at many Downtown businesses. Please view our [Shopping & Dining guide for a full list]
- Businesses that accept the dollars are identified with a "$".
To obtain a copy of the Downtown Dollar security features and steps to validate them please connect with Lori Muller ([email protected]).
Downtown Dollar Grant Program
Have an upcoming event and you would like to use Downtown Dollars as a prize? Please read and complete the Downtown Dollar Program document and email to Stef Golling ([email protected]).
Community Builder Grant
The Downtown Kitchener BIA provides a funding program to encourage members to partner with us to beautify, promote and create events in our Downtown.
The purpose of this funding program is to encourage efforts that help to build a positive image for Downtown Kitchener and enable community events that focus on collaboration and an amazing experience in Downtown.
If you are interested in partnering with businesses and/or community groups to create a great event Downtown, you may qualify for funding. Please review the Program Application to the right for details. Note applications must be submitted 60 days prior to your event start date for consideration.
New this year (2023) is the Main-Street Member Business stream of the Community Builder Grant Program. In order to apply, you must be a rate-paying member of the Downtown Kitchener BIA.
City of Kitchener - Façade Grant Program
The City of Kitchener façade improvement grants are subject to funding availability and are issued upon the completion of the proposed work. If your grant application is approved, they may pay up to half (50%) of the total cost of your project.
Eligible downtown property owners and merchants/business owners are eligible to receive grants of up to $10,000 per street address or storefront. A property or storefront cannot receive more than $10,000 under this program within a five-year period.
To be eligible for a grant, a property must be located within the Downtown Community Improvement Area, with commercial (retail, restaurant or dining, services) uses on the ground floor. Grants can be used in these ways:
- repainting, cleaning or re-facing of façades
- repair or restoration of façade masonry, brickwork or wood
- replacement, repair or restoration of cornices, eaves, parapets and other features
- replacement or repair of windows
- entrance modifications that improve the appearance and/or access to the - - -commercial units
- redesign and reconstruction of the storefront
- installation of appropriate new signage or improvements to existing signage
- installation or repair of canopies and awnings
- installation or repair of exterior lighting
- restoration of historic features
- enhance accessibility features that meet AODA standards
For additional information, and to apply visit the City of Kitchener - Façade Grant Program page.